This has always been my favorite weeknight meal. It’s fast and simple to prepare. Tofu baked to a crisp and tossed in teriyaki sauce served with fresh vegetables and white rice. I make this recipe at least once a week sometimes more because it’s easy to mix up the flavors. I find this meal is budget friendly, easy. tasty and healthy.
How to crisp up the tofu is a debate as many people love to pan fry it until crispy but I don’t like getting oil everywhere nor do I like using much oil in my cooking. I do enjoy air frying my tofu but I’m often baking it in the oven just so I can use my silpat mat to prevent it from sticking. You can skip this step entirely if you chose to use a different protein like tempeh.
Pre cut vegtables are such a time saver on weeknights for recipes like this. I buy bagged “coleslaw” mix which is usually just cabbage and carrot and it works perfect for this meal. If you do end up slicing the carrot yourself, the thinner the better. I would suggest a mandolin slicer if you are brave but a peeling tool of any kind works best. Let the vegetable sit with a drizzle of rice vinegar while the tofu bakes.
Rice is something my spouse is incredibly picky about. We tend to stick to white rice that is soaked and rinsed prior to cooking. Cook your rice to your liking or replace it with something like quinoa or farro if that’s something you like.
Teriyaki Tofu BowlCuisine: JapaneseDifficulty: Easy
1 package firm tofu
1 cup shredded cabbage
1 cup sliced/shaved carrot
1 cucumber thinly sliced
1/4 cup vegan teriyaki sauce
2 Cup white rice
optional rice vinegar
- Preheat oven to 400F
- drain and press tofu, cut into cubes, place on baking sheet and bake for 30-40min or until crispy.
- Prep rice according to package. Cook and set aside.
- Cut the cabbage, carrot and cucumber and set aside. Drizzle with rice vinegar.
- Cut the broccoli to bite size pieces and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or pan with a. small amount of avocado or other high heat oil. Start cooking the broccoli for 5-6min on medium high heat.
- When the tofu is crispy, remove from oven and toss into the pan with broccoli adding your teriyaki sauce. Cook on high heat for a few more minutes until teriyaki sauce thickens a bit. about 4-5min.
- Sever the teriyaki tofu over rice with sliced vegetables. I add condiments such as hot sauce, chipotle mayo or miso mayo drizzle and Korean chili flakes.
- Any sauce works for this such as a bulgogi or Korean BBQ.
- Other vegetables that fit well would be radish, bok choy, green beans.
- Topping that I often add are avocado, sesame seed, kimchi paste or dried seaweed