Vegan Queso is a perfect pairing for chips, nachos, tacos and so much more. There are so many varieties of homemade vegan queso out there and honestly this one is not that different but it’s mine. Making a vegan queso at home is cheaper, healthier and usually better because you can adjust the flavors yourself. The best part of making this is that it’s EASY!
Let’s dig in, if you are making this for a party I would increase the recipe because this makes a little under 2 Cups depending on how much salsa and milk alternative is needed. I used a high quality salsa that was on the thicker side but you can replace that with whatever your favorite is. Soaking the cashews is normally optional but highly recommended because it makes the end result far more smooth.
To spice or not to spice? This recipe is not spicy because I assumed that can be optional. If you want to add head you can add diced jalapeño, cayenne pepper or use a spicy salsa. Although I still need to try it myself, I think a chipotle sauce would go great with this.
Vegan QuesoCourse: AppetizersCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1/2 Cup Cashew (raw, unsalted)
1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Salt (more to taste)
1/2 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Paprika
3/4 – 1/2 Cup of Salsa (see notes)
1/2 Cup of unsweetened milk alternative (see notes)
- Soak cashews in boiling hot water for at least ten minutes
- Mix together your spices
- Drain the cashews and add spices, milk alternative and salsa into a blender
- If the sauce is to thick, add more salsa or milk alternative to thin it out
- When done blending add the diced jalapeño if using
- Warm to serve or store it and warm before serving
- I use a salsa brand called Mrs. Renfro’s because it has a lot of flavor and fairly thick.
- For most of my cooking I usually use unsweetened oat milk. This is what works from me but if you have something you like, I’m sure it would work.
- The nutritional yeast gives this a slight orange tint. If you want it to look more quests orange, you can add a little turmeric.