Sloppy Joes is a family classic but I made them vegan with Beyond Meat, Lentils and vegan bbq sauce. Sweet, tangy, messy and good for just about any night of the week with leftovers for lunch. With more than enough protein to fill everyone up, I made these sloppy joes to eat for the rest of the week so be warned, this makes a lot! I used beyond meat frozen ground for this recipe, the one in a square packaging and not the crumbles. Last minute I decided to add lentils as well because I didn’t think it was going to make enough. I’m glad I did because my family was going for seconds before I was halfway through my own plate. If you like everything spicy, try adding a little hot sauce while you make these.
Sloppy Joes are nothing without their sidekick potatoes! I made the easiest microwaved mashed potatoes mixed with vegan butter and sour cream. Honestly, cutting corners on a Monday night is what I do best. I have a fresh dill plant so I added the herb to give it a fresh element. The broccoli too, steam real quick and boom done in no time. Quick meals on a weeknight is a must.
While I am not picky at all, my family is pretty crazy about Dave’s Killer Bread. I don’t always buy it because it’s pricey but for this meal it was a treat because it’s really soft. I know beyond meat can be pricey as well but I stock up when it’s on sale. You can always make this meal with more lentil instead.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SLOPPY JOES
VEGAN BEYOND MEAT SLOPPY JOESCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
2 package Beyond meat ground (thawed)
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 red or green bell pepper, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 Cup lentil
1 1/2 Cup Tomato sauce
1/2 Cup water
2 Tbl liquid aminos
1 tsp liquid smoke
4 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 Tbl Coconut nectar
For the Sloppy Joe seasoning:
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp ground mustard powder
4 Tbl dried minced garlic
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp salt and pepper
- Cook lentils according to package
- In a bowl, mix together the sloppy Joe sauce tomato, aminos, nectar, liquid smoke, water, acv and mix well
- In a separate bowl mix together the spices
- Start browning the beyond meat on a skillet with a small amount of oil. Beyond meat normally doesn’t stick to the pan but I like to be safe
- In a a separate skillet, cook onion and bell pepper on Med/High in 2 Tbl of water until the onion starts to brown. Add more water if needed. After about 3-4 minutes add the minced garlic.
- Once the meat starts to brown, turn the heat down and add the Sloppy Joe spices, browned onion, bell pepper and garlic. Stir to combine.
- Drain the lentils and add them to the meat mixture, stir and add the sloppy joe sauce.
- Simmer for 15min to thicken up and enjoy.
- Remember! I cook for very hungry stomachs so I make extra. Please cut the recipe in half if it sounds like too much food.
- Serve with vegan cheese and pickles. I normally used Follow your heart brand of cheese.
- Low carb? This goes well in a lettuce wrap too! I made it for lunch because I was out of buns.