I use soy curls in stir fry almost every week. They are easy, quick and a great way to change up my usual tofu stir fry, Add any stir fry veggies you prefer and serve with white rice or noodles.
What are soy curls
Soy curls are dehydrated soybeans and you can rehydrate them using your favorite vegan broth or just hot water. They take about 10min to rehydrate. I usually dab them with a paper towel to get excess water out and then cook them with a marinate in the skillet. I’ve made them for tacos, stir fry, burritos and veggie bowels. They have little to no flavor and a similar texture to chicken. They come in long pieces that are easy to bite (?not chewy) but you can also cut them up for smaller pieces. I find soy curls in bulk on amazon and have not found them in a store near me but they are fairly affordable, shelf stable and a great food to keep around.
Stir Fry Soy Curls
1 Package of Soy Curls
1 bunch Broccoli
1 red bell pepper
8 oz mushrooms
Handful of Carrots
1/4-1/2 Cup Coconut Liquid Aminos (see notes)
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
3 Tablespoons of brown sugar
3 Tablespoons Rice wine vinegar
2 tsp Cornstarch
Rice or Noodles
- Re-hydrate soy curls in a bowl covered in hot water
- Start rice or noodles according to package
- In a large wok or skillet start cooking your vegetables are medium/high heat
- Once soy curls are re-hydrated, to wok or skillet (use a separate one if it’s not large enough for everything) and coat with the cornstarch. Mix well and start cooking on med/high heat
- Mix together sauce ingredients, down sugar, aminos, garlic, sesame oil, vinegar. Spoon in sauce little by little to coat the soy curls and cook for another 5min
- Once the vegetables are cooked to your liking, mix everything together well and serve with rice or noodles.
- If you don’t feel like making a sauce, I like Sky Valley brand Teriyaki or General Tso.
- I have a very large cast iron wok to cook vegetables in. The soy curls make a lot so use two skillets if you think it won’t fit in one. The sauce should coat everything once mixed together.
- If you want to make this extra sticky, add 1 tsp to the sauce before spooning it into the skillet. Mix well.
- Other stir fry vegetables I enjoy; baby corn, water chestnuts, zucchini, snap or snow peas, onion and brocolini