This Spanish rice recipe is cooked on the stovetop. I made this slightly different than I normally would simply because I was missing ingredients. Normally, I’m just a fan of rice that’s not brown but it’s what works best for this Spanish rice recipe. I love to change up recipes time to time because that’s like going to a new restaurant and seeing what they do differently.
This Spanish Rice was served with seasoned black beans, mushroom and potato taco filling and homemade guacamole. I added lime, habanero hot sauce, green onion and jalapeño to the side because not everyone likes it in the dish. The most delicious tortilla is from a local company here in Arizona called The Tortilla Lady. I love her tortillas so much and I’m glad they are vegan!
I hope you enjoy this recipe. If you have any questions or want more vegan inspiration please follow me on Instagram!
Spanish Rice RecipeCourse: DinnerCuisine: MexicanDifficulty: Easy
1 Cup Brown Rice
2 Tbl Avocado Oil
2 Tbl Tomato paste
1 1/2-2 Cups Vegetable broth
1/2 Cup Frozen Peas
1 Carrot, Chopped
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (more if you like it hotter)
Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, sauce the brown rice in avocado oil for 5-8min on Medium heat.
- Add the Cumin, Red pepper, Chopped Carrot, Peas, salt and pepper and stir for another 3min.
- Stir in tomato paste.
- Add 1 1/2 Cups of the vegetable broth and simmer for 45min with a lid slightly ajar. Check on this to make sure the rice is still covered in liquid and add more water when necessary. This differs for everyone due to stovetops and elevation. I added 1/2 cup a liquid after 30min and cooked it for a total of 45min.
- Test rice periodically to make sure it’s done.
- Garnish with green onion, cilantro and lime. Enjoy
- Chopped onion and tomato would be a great addition to this recipe.
- Add jalapeño for more spice.