Mushroom steaks are one of my many favorite meals because they are savory and easy to prepare. I always use portobello mushrooms because they are larger than their twin crimini mushrooms! That’s right, did you know these two mushrooms are the exact same? So, if you want to toss crimini mushrooms in for this meal fill free to do so.
Mushrooms are low calorie, dense with nutrients and taste amazing on their own. Besides having the ugly name of fungus, what’s not to like about them. The benefits of mushrooms include Selenium, Copper, and Potassium. I personally eat a lot of mushrooms in my diet because the copper helps absorb iron.
MUSHROOM STEAK SIDES
This time, I prepared the mushroom steaks with a side of garlicky lemon potatoes, asparagus, kale salad and my favorite easy mac and cheeze. This meal definitely let me relax in the kitchen on a Sunday evening because it was so quick and easy to prepare. When preparing the kale, I also massage it with olive oil to make it softer and less bitter. If you don’t like raw kale, you can sauté it with the mushroom and it will soak up the delicious flavor. Can we call that kale steak? Whatever you decide to cook these with, be sure to include the potatoes! The potatoes and mushrooms just pair perfectly with these mushroom steaks.
Cooking these portobellos can be done on either the stove, grill or even oven! If you decide to toss them in the oven I would suggest marinating them for at least 20min. I prefer cooking them on the stove to keep an eye on how tender they become. Next time, I would use my cast iron skillet to get a char on them. I bought pre sliced Portobellos but if you can buy them whole, it would be easier to flip as you are cooking them.
MUSHROOM STEAK MEALDifficulty: Easy
4 large portobello mushrooms
3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
3 TBSP vegan worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
- Remove stems and clean the mushrooms, set aside. Add all the remaining ingredients to a small bowl and mix.
- Using a large zip lock bag, place the mushrooms inside and pour the marinade in. (you can use a shallow dish instead). Turn the mushrooms/bag so the marinade gets evenly coated. Let marinaded mushrooms sit for a minimum of 5 minutes and up to 12 hours in fridge.
- Get a large skillet over high heat, spray with a non-stick cooking spray. Grill mushrooms for 4 minutes on each side. This is the same if you are using a BBQ, place directly on hot greased grill for 4 minutes each side.
- When the mushrooms are heated through and have some beautiful grill marks, remove and serve!
- These will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. I do not recommend freezing them.