This is a trick for an easy seitan loaf that leaves little mess. This seitan loaf can be used for anything. I made this for a vegan Philly Cheesesteak. The leftovers I had from that I chopped up for some vegan tacos! The best part? I mixed this up in under five minutes. Stick it in the oven and your done! Little measuring and little mess, the best right?
I have tried making seitan so many different ways. Sometimes it comes out too tough, too chewy or just too messy to work with. I used this trick because I was unsure what I’d make for dinner, I didn’t want to flavor it wrong. I also didn’t want a tasteless loaf. So, I got lazy and used a skillet sauce packet I had on hand. As it turns out, it was the perfect amount of liquid so the loaf would come out too dry.
It’s true when I say it’s simple to make. It takes time to bake but measuring the vital wheat gluten, water and skillet packet took me five minutes! Mix it all up well with a spatula or using your hands and wrap it up TIGHT foil. Perfect to make in the morning and use the loaf later in the day. Makes dinner time that much quicker. Using the skillet packet adds enough flavor so when you reheat to serve, it can soak up your desired taste. I think this is flavorful enough on it’s own as well but everyone is different. Please let me know if you add anything, I would like to try it myself next time I make this!
HOW TO MAKE EASY SEITAN
EASY SEITANCourse: Recipe, SeitanDifficulty: Easy
3 Cups Vital wheat gluten
3 Cups water
6+Tbl Skillet sauce packet (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Measure out the vital wheat gluten into a bowl.
- Pour water and skillet sauce into the vital wheat gluten.
- Mix well, the loaf should have no dry spots in it. If you need to add 1 tsp of water or oil, do so. It should not be too wet either.
- Shape into a loaf and wrap extra tight in foil, twisting the ends. There shouldn’t be any holes or seitan showing.
- Bake for 90min.
- I used an entire skillet packet that happen to be the correct measurement. I used a blend by La Totilla Factory.
- Fill free to use ANY kind of flavor. I don’t think you can go wrong but be sure to use the liquid kind of packet, not a spices only one. You will need the oil from the sauce packet.
- When taking the loaf out of the oven, it should be firm to touch.