My BBQ Tempeh meal is warm and inviting served with rainbow chard, pretzel bites and Mac and cheese. It’s quick to make and I usually have a little leftover which always taste better. Tempeh is a fermented soybean block that heats up well and holds any flavor you desire. This time, I used yet again my favorite easy Mac and cheezy recipe using a daiya cheeze packet. Of course some greens need to be served with every meal so I picked up some rainbow chard to sauté. I served this with cute pretzel bites I found but this meal would go great with a big slice of soft French bread and butter!
There are times where I spend less time in the kitchen than others. I get busy but the family still needs a meal! This dish is something I was craving because it’s BBQ comfort food just like the vegan festivals have around here. BBQ sauce isn’t something I buy very often because I cook mostly asian style dishes and make my own sauce. I make BBQ sauce too, but sometimes it’s just easier to pick up a bottle from the store.
The Mac and cheese was a boxed daiya brand, it’s even better if you add a little chili powder and sriracha on top to spice it up. Daiya makes a variety of flavors and I have tried and loved them all. This time I used the classed cheddar flavor (it makes good nacho cheese too!). If you decide to make a homemade Mac, let me know because I’ve been meaning to make a good homemade Mac and cheese but have yet to give it a go.
HOW TO MAKE BBQ TEMPEH COMFORT MEAL
BBQ TEMPEH COMFORT MEALCourse: DinnerCuisine: AmericanDifficulty: Easy
1 package of your favorite Mac and Cheeze
1 bundle rainbow chard
2 garlic cloves
2 tempeh blocks
1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce
Bread for serving
- Start cooking the Mac and cheese according to package
- While the Mac is cooking, remove stems and chop chard, garlic and shallot.
- Sauté garlic and shallot on medium heat with a small amount of oil for 1min or untill fragrant then add chard. Sauté for another 2min on Medium heat, you don’t want this to wilt too much. One done, Remove everything from skillet and into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cut the tempeh into strips. Add Tempeh and a little oil to skillet on medium-high heat and cook for about a minute and the flip tempeh and cook for another minute. Turn the heat down and add your BBQ sauce. The tempeh should be sizzling a little but not burning. Cook for another 3-4 minnutes.
- Once your Mac and Cheese is finished, serve and enjoy.
- This meal would work well with a BBQ jackfruit!
- Never had Rainbow Chard? It’s a sweet and earthy big green leafy vegtable with a slightly bitter bite. Sauté with the garlic and onion, it’s delicious. I usually cut out the stems but some people enjoy those too.
- Have extra time? Make your own homemade mac and cheese to bring this comfort meal to the next level. I like to keep it simple when I’ve had a long day and this is one of my quick 20min meals.
- I found the preztel bites at my local Whole Food and Grocery Out. If you have a chance, try them out because they are amazing with this meal.